Sunday, August 14, 2011

Green Eggs and Good Omens



I cracked open an egg today and the white was this odd bright yellow neon color. Thinking I was nuts, I cracked open a second one and low and behold: normal. Apparently this isn't too uncommon and the overwhelming internet response was DON'T EAT IT. Since I didn't feel like taking on a challenge today, I didn't. ( Good story, right?)

Right now I'm reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman and am enjoying it immensely. If you like Neil Gaiman, Martin Millar, Terry Pratchet and/or the Apocalypse you'll probably enjoy it more than I did, and here's why; As much as I hate to confess this I am a speed-reader and I sometimes might neglect to read every word on the page. With this book, it's even worse because I notice the hilarious footnotes and can't seem to keep my eyes from straying towards the bottom of the page. Then I spend way too much time trying to locate the aster-ix* that applies to the footnote I've already read before going back to making actual progress. Now I love footnotes as much as the next person, (they make reading fun!) but they slow down my speed reading tremendously. These days it's all about progress, and I love progress!


If you end up reading and liking Good Omens, along those lines I would also recommend American Gods, by Neil Gaiman and Stephen Brust's, To Reign in Hell. You're welcome!























* Apparently this is the proper spelling, according to spell-check. Who knew?!

No comments:

Post a Comment