Tuesday, November 15, 2011

It's for a friend...I swear

Remember how there used to be CD stores? Whenever I would go to buy a cd, particularly in those cozy ones not owned by giant evil companies, I felt fairly certain that I would be judged on my purchase. So much so, in fact, that many times my purchasing decisions would be based on what I felt was "cooler" rather than what I liked better. Now though, I am fully awesome so it doesn't matter what I buy, I make it cool. The coolest.

I feel the same way when I go to purchase a video game. I must buy the most awesome game so I can fit in with the most awesome gaming crowd. I have yet to gain enough clout in the gaming industry to breathe the breath of awesomeness into any game I like. Plus, the games I like are totally lame so it's an uphill battle.

Apparently this is a feeling that rears its ugly head at small, quaint books stores run by cool looking indie kids. I dropped by today to pick up a copy of the new Diary of A Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever, and the only way I can describe the way it felt for me is this:

EMBARRASSED.

These books are pretty much the lowest quality of literature out there, and I had to face those super cool book kids and ask them to please get it from behind the counter for me. I must now hang my librarian head in shame. It's not for me, I swear.

As I was paying, I felt my face getting redder, just like when I had to buy feminine products as a teenager, or when I decided that VIVA PINATA was the video game I had to have, or any other such humiliating purchasing experience. I might as well just have written LOSER across my forehead in permanent marker. OH THE HUMANITY. Then, to make matters worse, I felt I had to say something, anything to redeem myself.

"I hate these books," I tell the guy, "But the kids love them.."
"uh, okay." He says, looking at me like yeah sure lady.
I left, fairly sure I can never muster the courage to enter that store again.

This blog so far has had very little dogs in it, only books and musings. Today I will briefly mention my dog. I came home today focused on writing about my humiliating book store experience but Pigpen decided that she had to sit on the keyboard so I would be forced to pay attention to her. See below for details:


WINNER

1 comment:

  1. Funny post and so true. Just be yourself.
    I believe that it's none of my business what others think of me

    ReplyDelete